A zoo is a dynamic operation. Zoo's incorporate various types of animals, drinking water supplies, wastewater, water recycling systems, turf, flowers, trees, solid wastes, restaurants, sanitation facilities, and veterinary clinics.
EM-1® offers applications for all facets of these operations.
- Animal exhibits can be washed down with EM-1® for waste treatment, odor control, and fly control.
- Water exhibits require recycling systems to keep levels of dissolved oxygen (DO) up, water clarity, lower sludge
- and BOD, etc.
- Keep wastes and costs of recharge water down.
- Larger animals' wastes are often composted and utilized on site as fertilizer
- and mulch for application to the grounds.
The most successful zoo in the United States using Effective Microorganisms is the Honolulu Zoo in Hawaii. The zoo has been using EM-1® in their exhibits for several years. Specifics for all the applications above are available in different sections of this web site and can easily be incorporated into any zoo's maintenance program.